Amy Winehouse's Death: 'Back to Black' Album Shoots to No. 1 on iTunes
The singer’s acclaimed 2007 disc tops the chart Saturday, after she was found dead in her London home, while her “Rehab” video jumps to No. 10.
Amy Winehouse’s acclaimed 2007 album Back to Black jumped to the top of the iTunes chart Saturday, following the news the troubled singer had been found dead in her home in London.
Meanwhile, the music video for her single “Rehab” from the album reached No. 10 on the iTunes on Saturday.
Upon its release, Back to Black topped the charts in more than 15 counties, making the top 10 in a dozen others. In the U.S., the album peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, earning double-platinum status.
“Rehab” was the biggest single from the album. Upon its release in the U.S. in early 2007, Winehouse to international fame. The song, a throwback to the American girl-group sound of the 1960s, made the top 10 of Billboard’s Hot 100 and sold more than 1 million units.
Meanwhile, the album earned Winehouse six Grammy nominations, including all four major categories, at the 2008 Grammys. She went 5-for-5 but lost out on the album of the year award to Herbie Hancock’s River: The Joni Letters, one the biggest upsets in Grammy history.
Winehouse won best new artist; “Rehab” won song and record of the year along with best pop vocal performance; and Back to Black was named best pop vocal album.
Winehouse, 27, was found dead in her north London home Saturday after a long and widely reported battle with alcohol and drugs.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman told the BBC that the cause of death was as yet unexplained.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)