'An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker' to Open Sarajevo Film Fest
The Danis Tanovic-directed drama won two Silver Bears in Berlin in February.
MOSCOW -- An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker, a true-life drama from Bosnian director Danis Tanovic, will open the 19th Sarajevo International Film Festival, the Balkans' largest regional film fest.
Tanovic, best known internationally for his Oscar- and Golden Globe-winning debut No Man's Land (2001), earned critical kudos for Iron Picker, which won both the grand jury prize and the Silver Bear for best actor Nazif Mujic at its world premiere in Berlin in February.
The film is a re-creation of real events. Mujic plays himself, a poor Roma scrap metal collector who is thrust into an existential crisis when his wife miscarries and needs urgent, and costly, medical treatment. Shot on a microbudget reported to be less than $50,000, Iron Picker will open the Sarajevo fest Aug. 16, screening simultaneously at Sarajevo’s National Theater and at the Open Air Cinema in the city's center. Tanovic is expected to attend.
"Again this year, to our great joy, we are able to continue our tradition of opening the festival with a film from Bosnia and Herzegovina,” said Sarajevo festival director Mirsad Purivatra.
Since its founding in 1995, while the city was still under siege in the Balkan civil war, the Sarajevo IFF has established itself as a leading regional industry event. CineLink, the co-production platform that runs alongside the festival, has become a key draw for producers from the wider region. The festival also is part of new regional distribution platform Operation Kino, in partnership with fests in Sofia, Cluj and Istanbul.
The 19th Sarajevo IFF runs Aug. 16-24, 2013.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama