Anderson Cooper's Daytime Talk Show Struck by Teen Coma Tragedy
UPDATED: Producers on "Anderson" were working with a teenager and his parents on a show about the adolescent mind.
Anderson Cooper's new daytime talk show, Anderson, is dealing with its first tragic situation.
After three weeks on television, Gawker reports that a teenager is in a coma after a producer from Anderson allegedly encouraged him to record his behavior for an episode centered on the "teenage mind."
According to the report, the teenage boy was set to appear during an episode that delved into how the adolescent mind operated. Prior to the scheduled appearance, a producer told the teenager to "film the crazy stuff you do." The teenager subsequently filmed himself skateboarding and fell, where he suffered a serious injury to the head, and is in a coma, the report states. The episode was never broadcast.
A rep for Anderson confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter on Saturday afternoon that the teenager "had been injured."
"Our producers were working with a teen and his parents on a show about the science of the Teenage Brain, based on a National Geographic story," the rep's statement read. "As part of our routine process, we ask guests for video footage and photos. We did not provide the family with a camera. On the morning that they were supposed to travel to NYC, we learned that the teen had been injured. We are very concerned about him, and are thinking of him and his family at this time."
Cooper released a statement on Saturday evening in response to the accident.
"I was very saddened to hear the news of this accident, and want to express my deepest concerns for the teenager who was injured," he said. "I take this situation seriously, and my thoughts and prayers for his health, well-being and recovery are with him and his family."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game