Anderson Cooper's New Talk Show Nabs 'GMA' Producer
Jim Murphy, who had been with "Good Morning America" since 2006, will executive produce "Anderson" alongside Cooper.
Emmy-winning producer Jim Murphy has been named executive producer of Anderson, Anderson Cooper's new talk show.
Murphy comes to the one-hour weekday show from ABC News, where he was senior executive producer from 2006-11 on Good Morning America. He will serve as exec producer alongside Cooper.
Meanwhile, ABC News president Ben Sherwood in a memo to staff said Tom Cibrowski will continue serving as executive producer of GMA. Sherwood added that he plans to announce a "new leader" for GMA "in the days ahead."
Before GMA, Murphy spent 12 years at CBS News, serving as executive producer for CBS Evening News, senior broadcast producer for 48 Hours and executive producer of CBS This Morning.
While at CBS News, Murphy received multiple awards, including national news Emmys, Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio-Television News Directors Assn. and Columbia University/Alfred I. Dupont awards.
New York-based Anderson -- a topical show that will cover social issues, trends and events, pop culture and celebrity, human-interest stories and populist news -- debuts in syndication Sept. 12. It's distributed by Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution and produced by Telepictures Prods. in association with StrongChild Prods.
"Jim has vast experience in morning news and an innate understanding of what women respond to in daytime," said Hilary Estey McLoughlin, president of Telepictures. "He has a proven track record in telling emotional and compelling stories that tap into what people are talking about which makes him the ideal fit for Anderson."
Added Cooper: "I am really excited to work with Jim. He has a wealth of experience and I look forward to collaborating with him to create a program that is fun, informative and entertaining for daytime viewers."
For his part, Murphy praised Cooper.
"I look forward to the challenge of bringing a fresh and positive approach to daytime television led by the passion and expertise of Anderson Cooper," he said.
Meanwhile, ABC News' Sherwood offered his praise to Murphy.
"A talented and experienced newsman, Jim has been a valued leader at Good Morning America for almost five years," Sherwood wrote in his memo. "Indeed, for three consecutive years under Jim's leadership, GMA won the Emmy Award for best morning show. He has literally taken our viewers around the globe, providing the news and information they need to understand their lives and the world."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!