President Obama Remembers Andy Griffith: 'A Performer of Extraordinary Talent'
The Commander in Chief released a statement in tribute to the late actor, who passed away on Tuesday.
For generations, Andy Griffith was the quintessential small town American hero, his television town Mayberry a fictional stand-in for apple pie ideals. And now as the nation steps back to eulogize him in the wake of his passing at the age of 86, the President of the United States has released a statement in rememberance of the multi-talented actor.
"Michelle and I were saddened to hear about the passing of Andy Griffith this morning," President Obama said late Tuesday. "A performer of extraordinary talent, Andy was beloved by generations of fans and revered by entertainers who followed in his footsteps. He brought us characters from Sheriff Andy Taylor to Ben Matlock, and in the process, warmed the hearts of Americans everywhere. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy's family."
Griffith, who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from George W. Bush in 2005, was an active Democrat who helped Obama on multiple occasions. He recorded a new take on his famed Andy Griffith Show in 2008 in support of Obama's quest for the presidency, and in 2010, recorded a spot in support of the president's health care reform act. He also publicly backed former North Carolina Governor Mike Easley, as well as current Governor Bev Purdue.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack