Andy Rooney's Son Speaks: 'He was amazingly in-character his entire life'
The "60 Minutes" personality, whose segment of complaints about life's little annoyances ran for 33 years on the show, died Nov. 4 at the age of 92.
And, according to his son, Brian Rooney, the man viewers saw on their television screens each Sunday night, was the same man his family saw around their home.
"I always tell people it's the same act that ran at the other end of the dinner table," Brian who is a former ABC News correspondent, told CBS' The Early Show in an interview Monday. "He was amazingly in-character his entire life. ... I think there are so many people in television these days who have adapted this character in order to make themselves popular, and he became popular just by being himself."
The newsman was also known for his love of his job, working up until a month before his death.
"Yeah, he said, 'I am going to work until I die,'" Brain revealed. "And now, his death is somewhat of a coincidence. There was nothing that we knew of so severely wrong with him back in September. But he didn't ever want to quit. He was his work. But it just reached a point where he really needed to say good-bye to a television audience. You have to know when to leave the stage. My father probably stayed a little bit too long. But with some encouraging, we said, 'Time for a graceful good-bye.'"
Watch the full interview below.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!