Andy Rooney Remains Hospitalized After Surgery
The longtime "60 Minutes" commentator made his final regular appearance on the program on Oct. 2.
Former 60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney remains hospitalized after a minor surgery last week.
CBS News said the 92-year-old journalist is in stable condition and remains under medical care because he suffered serious complications from the operation. The medical reason for the surgery has not been disclosed, and the Rooney family asks that their privacy be respected at this difficult time, notes the network.
Rooney gave his last 60 Minutes commentary on Oct. 2. He had been with the show since 1968 as a writer and his “A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney” segment had been a fixture on the show since 1978.
At the time of his retirement from the CBS weekly newsmagazine, Rooney had clocked in 1,097 appearances. His rants ranged from his expressing concern because he had no idea who Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga or any of the bands are that are dominating the Billboard charts were to wondering if Bill Gates and Microsoft were making our lives harder.
Rooney told viewers in his final 60 Minutes commentary that his retirement was a moment he wasn't looking forward to. "This is a moment I have dreaded," he said. "I wish I could do this forever."
In an essay titled "My Lucky Life," Rooney told viewers about his time writing for the Army newspaper the Stars and Stripes during World War II. He said he decided to pursue a radio and TV career because he thought the "written word" was being ignored.
Still, he had to continue writing his own pieces -- and has been earning a living as a writer for 70 years.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10