Andy Rooney's Retirement Prompts Nostalgia, Jabs Among Viewers
The 92-year-old announced his exit from “60 Minutes” on Tues, Sept. 27.
Andy Rooney, who has been a fixture on CBS’ 60 Minutes since 1978, is set to call it quits after this Sunday’s broadcast.
The 92-year-old newsman will appear in a career retrospective interview with Morley Safer on Oct. 2, giving his final sign-off during a quintessential show-wrapping segment. Rooney is not likely to be replaced on the program.
"There’s nobody like Andy and there never will be," said Jeff Fager, CBS News chairman and 60 executive producer. "He’ll hate hearing this, but he’s an American original. His contributions to 60 Minutes are immeasurable; he’s also a great friend."
Viewers and fans have weighed in on Rooney’s legacy with messages of appreciation, and a few light quips at his expense.
Never thought it'd happen: Andy Rooney steps down from 60 Minutes at age 92. What. A. Run.
Andy Rooney, 92, will make last appearance on '60 Minutes' this Sunday. America responds, Andy Rooney was still on “60 Minutes?”
I've always enjoyed those Andy Rooney bits on 60 Minutes. They don't make journalists like that anymore.
The Comedy Couple
Andy Rooney will leave "60 Minutes" at age 92. He plans to spend his time complaining about random objects in his room at the nursing home.
Loss for Journalism, what an icon
Breaking News: Mayan Calendar outlasts Andy Rooney.
Andy Rooney steps down from '60 Minutes,' which he said he would never do. Anyone doubt he was pushed?
If you missed Mr. Rooney's work in the late 70's and early 80's, you missed a keen observationist who had an extraordinary ability to communicate. The past few years have been like watching a once great athlete who played a couple too many seasons. I choose to remember his great work.
Andy Rooney, might I suggest Twitter for all of your grumpy ranting needs?
Miguel A. Gonzalez
Andy Rooney of 60 Minutes fame will retire Sunday. His eyebrows, however, will continue their contract indefinitely.
Didn't know Andy Rooney was leaving 60 Min.He's an institution,will be sad to hear him sign off for last time, he's been on TV my whole life
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!