Andy Whitfield not returning to 'Spartacus'
Series star must resume cancer treatments
"Spartacus: Blood and Sand" star Andy Whitfield will not return for the series' second season due to a recurrence of cancer. Starz said Friday that the actor has been advised by doctors to "resume aggressive treatment" for his illness, and that he won't part of the show when it returns to the cable channel in September 2011.
Whitfield was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in March. Production on the drama's freshman season was halted while the actor received medical care.
No decisions have been made about the future of the series.
Starz will air a "Blood and Sand" prequel, titled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," in January 2011.
Starz's full press release on Whitfield's condition can be found here.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR