Andy Whitfield not returning to 'Spartacus'
Series star must resume cancer treatments
"Spartacus: Blood and Sand" star Andy Whitfield will not return for the series' second season due to a recurrence of cancer. Starz said Friday that the actor has been advised by doctors to "resume aggressive treatment" for his illness, and that he won't part of the show when it returns to the cable channel in September 2011.
Whitfield was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in March. Production on the drama's freshman season was halted while the actor received medical care.
No decisions have been made about the future of the series.
Starz will air a "Blood and Sand" prequel, titled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," in January 2011.
Starz's full press release on Whitfield's condition can be found here.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR