Ang Lee, Jia Zhangke to Lead Discussions at Taiwan’s Golden Horse Festival
The festival will also include talks from Hong Kong directors Jonnie To, Ann Hui, and Peter Chan, along with special tributes to Asghar Farhadi, Alejandro Jodorowsky, and Abdellatif Kechiche.
Oscar winner Ang Lee will be pulling double duty at this year’s Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival in Taiwan.
Aside from chairing the festival’s awards jury, the director will also partake in a new program called “Encounters with the Masters,” along with seven other celebrated Chinese-language filmmakers.
The eight auteurs – including recent Cannes best screenplay winner Jia Zhangke, Hong Kong genre master Johnnie To, and Ann Hui, also of Hong Kong – will each screen one of their most noteworthy works and then share their filmmaking experiences and engage in a Q&A session. The other directors taking part in Taipei include, Tsai Ming-liang, Stanley Kwan, Peter Chan and Lou Ye.
The program at this year’s Golden Horse Fest – the event’s 50 year -- also includes three “Filmmakers in Focus”, Abdellatif Kechiche, the 2013 Palme d’Or winner for Blue Is the Warmest Colour, Asghar Farhadi who won an Oscar for A Separation in 2011 and whose The Past is considered a front-runner in the best foreign language film category again this year, and the legendary avant-garde auteur Alejandro Jodorowsky, who recently returned to filmmaking with The Dance of Reality. Each director will get a short retrospective at the fest, along with a screening of their new work. Festival organizers say Jodorowsky’s son Brontis Jodorowsky will be on hand at the film’s screening.
Other noteworthy titles from the West include Ryan Coogler’s Fruitvale Station and Roman Polanski’s Venus in Fur, which premiered to strong reviews at Cannes. Less established filmmaking territories will also be represented among the Chinese-language heavy 20-day program: Bhutanese drama, Vara: A Blessing, which recently opened the Busan International Film Festival, and Saudi Arabia’s first film directed by a woman, Wadjda, from Haifaa Al-Mansour, are both in the lineup.
This 50th Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival runs Nov. 8-28. The Golden Horse Awards Ceremony will take place on the night of Nov. 23.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)