Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Donate $340,000 to Somali Aid Group
Their money will help Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid expand its health services to the displaced mothers and children in the African country's war-ravaged capital.
(AP) NAIROBI, Kenya — The head of a Somali aid group says that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have donated $340,000 to help it expand its health services to the displaced mothers and children in Somalia's war-ravaged capital.
The Horn of Africa nation has been suffering from its worst famine in 60 years, and the United Nations says 750,000 people are at risk of starving to death in the next few months.
The U.S. estimates that the drought and famine have so far killed more than 29,000 children under the age of 5 in southern Somalia.
Mohamed Dahir of Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid said the donation from the Jolie-Pitt Foundation will allow his group to expand its lifesaving health services that serve 300 women and children each day in Mogadishu's Badbaado camp for the displaced people.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR