Angry Birds Cartoon to Premiere Next Month
The first episode of the 'Angry Birds Toon' series will bow March 16 on Rovio's website and on air in Ukraine.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, have announced the official bow of their long-awaited animated television series based on the gaming phenomenon. Starting March 16, the Angry Birds Toons series promises a new episode every week featuring the adventures of the egg-stealing pigs and those furious feathered folk.
"An all-new animated series that throws the doors to Piggy Island wide open!" is how Rovio described the game-to-TV crossover on its blog today, announcing the upcoming launch.
While the majority of Angry Birds fans will, initially at least, have to watch the series on Rovio's website, the show has been licensed to a broadcaster in Ukraine, who will give Angry Birds Toons its on-air debut next month.
The cartoon is a further move by Finnish-based Rovio to extend its hugely successful Angry Birds brand. More than 260 million users have downloaded one of Rovio's Angry Birds apps -- a huge potential audience should Rovio put its cartoons into future games or updates. The animated series also should be a driver for future sales of games and Angry Birds toys and merchandise.
You can check out a trailer for the new Angry Birds cartoon below.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!