Anil Kapoor Features In CNN Freedom Project Doc To Expose India's Trafficking Tradition
The 'Slumdog Millionaire' star will present 'Trapped By Traditions: A CNN Freedom Project Documentary.'
NEW DELHI -- Veteran Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor (Slumdog Millionaire, 24) has partnered with the CNN Freedom Project to expose India’s secret tradition of trafficking in Trapped by Tradition: A CNN Freedom Project Documentary. The documentary will premiere on Sept. 24 on CNN International.
As a special contributor to the CNN Freedom Project, Kapoor visits Bharatpur, a district in his native India where many young girls and women are sold into the sex trade often by members of their own family. Kapoor has been involved in the fight against human trafficking for the past several years through his involvement with New Delhi-based Plan India, an organization working on the frontlines to protect children against abuse and exploitation.
“Human slavery in today’s modern world is unacceptable and unpardonable. We should do whatever we can to eradicate it completely,” Kapoor said in a statement. “It was clear we must change the mindset of the people in [Bharatpur] – they had to understand there are other options."
Trapped by Tradition follows Kapoor to Bharatpur, where he spends time with many young girls and women who followed the socially-accepted tradition of joining the sex trade.
But Kapoor also discovered that things were changing for the better. Despite having a mother working in the sex trade, one young girl tells Kapoor she wanted to continue her education in Mumbai as she dreamt of becoming an actress.
Meanwhile Kapoor's upcoming films include an appearance in Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol and the actor has also been signed up for the financial thriller Cities directed by Roger Donaldson co-starring with Clive Owen.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack