Ann Curry Returns to TV on NBC's 'Today' to Report on 'Dark Knight Rises' Shootings (Video)
Reporting from Aurora, Colo., with "Today" replacement Savannah Guthrie, the ousted co-anchor had not been seen on TV since her poorly handled and emotional exit from the show last month.
Ann Curry made her first TV appearances Friday night and Saturday morning since her emotional exit as co-anchor of NBC's Today last month. Curry was reporting from Aurora, Colo., covering the aftermath of the mass shootings in a local movie theater during the premiere of The Dark Knight Rises, where at least 12 people died and 50 were wounded early Friday morning.
Curry's sudden departure from Today last month has had the public criticizing NBC for mishandling the situation. Her replacement, Savannah Guthrie, was quickly announced the following day, which THR reported exclusively.
As for Ann, NBC stated that she will stay at NBC News with the title of national/international correspondent and Today anchor-at-large, and she will also fill in as substitute anchor on various programs including Nightly News.
“I think it was not where her real passion was,” NBC News president Steve Capus told The Hollywood Reporter last month. “In her heart of hearts, I think she would admit that. I think her real passion is built around reporting on international stories. It’s tough to convey a sincere interest in something if you don’t possess it. We live in a HD world. Dan Rather used to say the camera never blinks. Well, this is an HD world now, and the camera picks up everything. And you could tell with her, you can tell with any anchor, whether they’re into it or not. And I think we’ve now come up with a role that will play to her strengths.”
If there is any lingering emotion on the change-up at NBC, it wasn't apparent on air this weekend; Curry appeared professional as ever in her return to the airwaves. Guthrie, reporting from in front of the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, tossed to Curry -- who was reporting from a nearby hospital -- as simply as she would any other news correspondent.
Fans tweeted their support to Curry as she reported from the field. Curry is expected to be on air again today (Sunday) to continue her coverage from Aurora.
@AnnCurry great to see you back on air - you're such a pro!
— Nancy Chan (@nolimillie) July 21, 2012
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'