Surprise! Savannah Guthrie to Co-Host 'Today' Friday
Though Ann Curry's replacement will be on the couch alongside Matt Lauer, there is no formal announcement expected on the show.
The transition at Today will be on display Friday morning.
Sources confirm that Savannah Guthrie will co-host the show alongside Matt Lauer. It is a role Guthrie has occupied on many mornings as a substitute for Ann Curry, who bid a tearful farewell to viewers on Thursday's show.
But a formal announcement about Guthrie's role is not expected during the program.
Guthrie was offered the job last week, while NBC News executives were hammering out a new position for Curry.
Getting the new Today team in place in time to take advantage of the ratings bump from NBC's coverage of the London Olympics is a priority.
Curry will travel to London for the Games. Meredith Vieira, Curry's Today predecessor, will co-host the Opening Ceremonies with Lauer and Bob Costas.
Guthrie, who is also Today's chief legal analyst, appeared during the 7 a.m. hour of Today on Thursday to discuss the Supreme Court's decision on President Obama's Health Care Reform Act.
She was not in the studio for Curry's emotional farewell. But she returned for the 9 a.m. hour, which she regularly hosts with Al Roker and Natalie Morales. Lauer also stuck around for Today's continuing coverage of the Court's decision.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills