Anne Sweeney Named MIPCOM Personality of the Year
The Disney/ABC Television Group president is first woman in the entertainment content market’s history to receive the honor.
PARIS — Disney/ABC Television Group president Anne Sweeney In October will become the first woman to receive MIPCOM’s Personality of the Year award.
Sweeney, who also serves as Disney Media Networks co-chair, will accept her prestigious prize Oct. 5 during a gala dinner for industry execs and give a keynote speech as part of MIPCOM’s “Media Mastermind” series.
“We are extremely pleased to honour Anne Sweeney as our MIPCOM 2011 Personality of the Year in recognition of her unparalleled contributions to the global entertainment industry,” Chief Executive of Reed MIDEM’s Paul Zilk said. He added: “Of special note is her contribution to the expansion of Disney’s portfolio of channels, brands and programming worldwide, as well as her visionary leadership in fostering content on emerging digital platforms.”
Sweeney was recently named the Most Powerful Woman in Entertainment by The Hollywood Reporter in addition to being ranked among the 50 Most Powerful Woman in Business by Fortune and one of the world’s 100 Most Powerful Women by Forbes. Sweeney handles the Disney Co.'s entertainment and news TV properties across the globe
“I am so very honored to be the recipient of MIPCOM’s 2011 Personality of the Year, Sweeney said. “However, the accomplishments that have led to this honor are not mine alone. They are the result of the tireless efforts of so very many talented colleagues.”
Sweeney joined the Disney Co. in 1996 and, under her leadership, Disney/ABC TV became the first media company to put TV content on new platforms in 2005 and the first to leverage iTunes and deliver a network video app for iPad in addition to ad-supported VOD deals for network series with several distributors. Sweeney spent 12 years at Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite before working as chairman and CEO of FX Networks as of 1993.
Sweeney added: “This event will allow me to acknowledge and celebrate everyone on the Disney/ABC Television Group and Disney Media Distribution teams, who not only create some of the most acclaimed and popular programming around the globe, but also continually develop new, innovative distribution methods that meet the ever-evolving needs of consumers.”
This year’s MIPCOM market runs Oct. 3-6 in Cannes.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!