Anthony Weiner's Ben Affleck Connection: Why the Actor Once Sought Advice From the Congressman
The actor reached out to Weiner three years before his scandal.
Three years ago, Ben Affleck was doing research for his role in thriller State of Play.
When he needed advice from a real politician, he turned to none other than New York Congressman Anthony Weiner, who this week admitted that he had lied about sending sexually suggestive photos to several women via the Internet.New York Times (unearthed Wednesday by the L.A. Times), the duo became fast friends, getting together for numerous dinners and discussing such things as what Affleck should not do should he decide to run for political office.
In a 2009 interview with the Times, Weiner said of Affleck: “I developed, I must confess, a grudging respect for him. He has good political instincts. He said Barack was going to win and he turned out to be right.”
"There is something beautiful about a politician who is a real fighter,” Affleck said. “Anthony is a guy who hits so hard and so clean.”defended him on his late-night Daily Show.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'