Anton Corbijn to Direct James Dean Film 'Life'
Iain Canning, who produced "The King's Speech," is behind the project, which tells of the true story about the friendship between the Hollywood legend and photographer Dennis Stock.
Anton Corbijn has come aboard to direct Life, a true story about the friendship between James Dean and Life Magazine photographer Dennis Stock.
Iain Canning, who produced the Oscar-winning drama The King's Speech and the acclaimed Michael Fassbender drama Shame, is producing Life with his See-Saw Films partner, Emile Sherman.
Stock was a young photographer working for the Magnum agency when he received an assignment that changed his life: to shoot a free-spirited actor named James Dean.
The gig became a personal journey for both as they traveled from L.A. to New York to Indiana. During the trip, Stock captured now-iconic images of the actor before he was launched to stardom with East of Eden (1955).
The movie, with a script by Luke Davies and a budget in the $10 million to $15 million range, is eyeing a shoot in early 2014.
Life continues cinema's recent fascination with its Silver Age, bringing to the big screen small-scale stories featuring big personalities, such as My Week With Marilyn and Hitchcock.
Corbjin is the Dutch director behind 2007’s award-winning Control, the biopic of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis, which Canning executive produced. He also directed the George Clooney thriller The American and has A Most Wanted Man, a terrorist thriller starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Rachel McAdams, in the pipeline.
He is repped by CAA and U.K.'s Independent Talent Group.
See-Saw is currently in postproduction on Tracks, directed by John Curran and starring Mia Wasikowska. Its first television miniseries, Jane Campion’s Top of the Lake, starred Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter and just finished its run on the Sundance Channel.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!