'Jimmy Kimmel' Tricks Apple Fans With Fake iPhone 5 (Video)
People lavished praise on the current 4S model, which was presented as the new device.
Is the public’s infatuation with the iPhone more about hype than substance?
Jimmy Kimmel put that to the test Wednesday, on the heels of Apple’s iPhone 5 unveiling.
ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live crew presented people on the streets of Hollywood with the iPhone 4S, but told them it was the iPhone 5. (The new iPhone won't be publicly available until Sept. 21.)
The results were illuminating. People praised the “new” iPhone for everything from its lighter weight to its video quality.
“It’s a little thinner. Looks like the screen is a little bit bigger,” one man said. Another remarked the phone was “a lot lighter than the last one. It’s a lot faster as well.”
One man held up his own iPhone 4S next to the 4S Kimmel’s crew provided.
“It’s a lot higher quality,” he said of the faux-iPhone 5. “If you drop it, it looks like it’s not going to break" as he said his current phone had.
But Hollywood icons weren’t so impressed with the new iPhone's features, which does include a taller screen (4 inches vs 3.5 inches) and a faster processor chip.
After Apple’s unveiling, Ricky Gervais tweeted “Can't wait for the new iPhone 5. I've had this mint condition, perfectly good, antique iPhone 4 for over a year now. Embarrassing.”
Watch the video below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR