Apple Mulling Offer to Buy Hulu (Report)
The sale price for the online video service could surpass $2 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and SNL Kagan.
Apple is considering making an offer for the online video service Hulu, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing sources.
The company is said to be in early talks to buy the site, which is owned by Walt Disney, News Corp., Comcast's NBCUniversal and private equity firm Providence Equity Partners.
The sale price could surpass $2 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and SNL Kagan.
Such a large purchase would be unusual for Apple, Wedbush Securities analyst Scott Sutherland told Bloomberg. The company's biggest acquisition was the $400 million buy for NeXT Software in 1996; that deal also saw Steve Jobs return to the company fold.
Buying the site would give Apple a new subscription service in addition to iTunes as welll as a competitor to Netflix, which is said not to be in the running to make a bid for Hulu.
"Hulu would add a new element to their arsenal from a streaming and subscription standpoint," Brian Marshall, an analyst at Gleacher & Co., told Bloomberg.
Among the initial suitors for Hulu were Amazon.com, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and satellite TV giant DirecTV, according to previous reports.
The owners are reportedly offering suitors five years of guaranteed access to their TV shows, including two years of exclusive access. Such programming terms would allow a new owner to have content locked up for a while.
Reps for Hulu and Apple declined to comment to Bloomberg.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!