Aretha Franklin Ends Engagement After Three Weeks
Not a month after making the announcement, the singer, who has reportedly been battling pancreatic cancer, said she will no longer wed William "Willie" Wilkerson.
Aretha Franklin has put the breaks on her engagement to William "Willie" Wilkerson.
Just three weeks after announcing that she intended to wed Wilkerson, a longtime friend, the "Queen of Soul" has called off the impending nuptials.
"Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, and there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly," Franklin told Us magazine in a statement. "There will be no wedding at this time."
Franklin, who will be honored by BET along with Patti Labelle and Common Feb. 13, had already begun planning the affair, saying Vera Wang, Valentino and Donna Karan were dress designing possibilities and that she was leaning towards a summer wedding in Miami with a reception on board a yacht.
This would have been the third wedding for the "Respect" singer, who was previously married to Ted White from 1961 - 1969 and actor Glynn Turman (A Different World, The Wire) from 1978 - 1984.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR