'Argo's' Odd Hollywood History
A kooky sci-fi script, the CIA and ads in The Hollywood Reporter: The real story behind Ben Affleck’s new thriller is too strange to have been invented.
The Hollywood Reporter was full of ads promoting that year's Oscar hopefuls -- everything from eventual winners like Kramer vs. Kramer to crazy long shots like George Hamilton courting consideration as best actor for his campy turn in the vampire comedy Love at First Bite. Amid all the hoopla, it was probably easy to overlook one, relatively unassuming, full-page, black-and-white display ad announcing a new movie called Argo, described only as "A Cosmic Conflagration … commencing principal photography, March 1980."
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR