Arri Cameras Survive the Digital Revolution
Top cinematographers were anxious about abandoning film. Then the iconic camera maker launched the Alexa, and it's everywhere, from Hugo to the next Bond movie.
As director of photography Seamus McGarvey was preparing to shoot The Avengers last year, he was, he confesses, "genuinely worried." Because the Marvel production -- which Disney releases May 4 -- would require extensive postproduction visual-effects work, shooting with a digital camera was preferable to using film. The problem was McGarvey, an Oscar nominee for his work on 2007's Atonement, never had shot a feature digitally.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR