ASC to honor Ballhaus for achievement
Michael Ballhaus, who most recently shot Martin Scorsese's "The Departed," will receive the American Society of Cinematographers International Achievement Award.
The German-born cinematographer will be recognized for his contributions to advancing the art of filmmaking Feb. 18 at the 21st annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Century City.
Ballhaus has compiled about 100 film credits in Germany and the U.S. and has earned Oscar nominations for "Broadcast News," "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and "Gangs of New York."
Ballhaus was born to parents who were actors in Berlin in 1935. "Who could have predicted while I was making films at a television station in Bavaria that someday I would be working with great artists like Fassbinder and Marty Scorsese or that my friends in ASC would honor me this way?" Ballhaus said.
Other memorable films Ballhaus has lensed include "The Color of Money," "GoodFellas," "The Age of Innocence" and "Air Force One."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead