ATAS chief John Shaffner re-elected
Incumbent faced Brian Seth Hurst in run-off after Dec. tie
John Shaffner has been re-elected as chairman and CEO of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
Shaffner faced second vice chair Brian Seth Hurst from the interactive media peer group in a run-off election Wednesday after the two tied during a Dec. 16 vote by the board of governors.
In addition to Shaffner and Hurst, the original field for the top position at the TV academy included actor Peter Kwong.
During his first two-year mandate, Shaffner orchestrated the move of the Primetime and Creative Emmy Awards to the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles through a 10-year deal with AEG.
During the past two years under Shaffner, the TV Academy's board of governors also introduced the new Primetime Emmy category of best reality host and split the variety/comedy special and series fields.
But it was last summer's vote to approve time-shifting of eight categories from the live Primetime ceremony that got the Academy in hot water, creating an industry firestorm and leading to an eventual reversal of the decision.
With his partner, Joe Stewart, Shaffner is an Emmy-winning production designer whose credits include "Friends," "The Big Bang Theory," "Two and a Half Men," "The Drew Carey Show" and "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and numerous series and specials, including the Primetime Emmy Awards, the ESPY Awards, the Miss Universe pageant and halftime shows at the Super Bowl.
Before his first term as chairman, Shaffner had served as a governor in the art directors and set decorators peer group for five years and had been elected for successive terms as both second vice chair and vice chair of the TV academy.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche