AT&T Pull Ads From Raunchy Anti-Gay Talk Show
"Jose Luis Sin Censura" also is dropped by two broadcast stations as GLAAD and National Hispanic Media Coalition urge for a boycott.
AT&T has pulled advertising from the raunchy talk show Jose Luis Sin Censura amid a campaign launched earlier this year by the National Hispanic Media Coalition and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the two organizations said Thursday.
In addition, WSVN-TV in Miami and KCTU-TV in Wichita, Kan., have pulled the afternoon show from their schedules.
Jose Luis Sin Censura, which is carried by Liberman Broadcasting's Estrella TV on such stations as Los Angeles' KRCA-TV, has been described as a Spanish-language equivalent of The Jerry Springer Show. GLAAD and NHMC have referred to the show as "pornography" and highlighted its anti-gay slurs and shouting matches, adding that only some of the language is bleeped.
They first filed a complaint with the FCC earlier this year in which they pointed to words including "pinche" ("f---ing" in English) and "culero" ("assf---er"), anti-gay language including "puñal" ("f-ggot") and anti-Latino slurs like "mojado" ("wetback"). They also complained about "blatant nudity," female guests being part of "violent fights" and audience members being encouraged to take part in "verbal and even physical attacks."
They said Thursday that thousands participated in an online action to e-mail the FCC and support the complaint, while more than 30 organizations also sent a letter to the FCC, urging swift action.
The two groups added that Liberman reached out last week to start "a dialogue about its responsibilities as a broadcaster and content producer," but they aren't happy that Jose Luis Sin Censura is still on the air in 37 markets.
“AT&T and these broadcasters have sent a strong message by refusing to support a show that promotes such violence against our community,” GLAAD president Jarrett Barrios said. “Though we are encouraged by Liberman’s willingness to begin a dialogue, we continue to call on advertisers, broadcasters and the FCC to take a stand against this offensive content.”
Added Alex Nogales, president and CEO of NHMC: "The advertisers and broadcasters that we are recognizing today wisely chose to abandon their relationships with this program. Not only does this demonstrate corporate responsibility, but also that being affiliated with José Luis Sin Censura is bad for business. I expect that others will follow in the near future, as they realize that obscenity, intolerance and sexism are out of style."
Liberman could not be reached for comment.