Aurora Theater, Site of 'Dark Knight Rises' Shooting, Reopens With Ceremony
The Cinemark theater opened nearly six months after the shooting that left 12 dead and 70 injured, with politicians, victims and dignitaries celebrating renewal.
Six months after it was visited by unspeakable tragedy, Aurora, Colo., celebrated its recovery on Thursday night.
The Cinemark movie theater that on July 20 was the site of a mass shooting that left 12 dead and 70 injured reopened with a memorial ceremony; the event was was attended by the state's Governor John Hickenlooper, the town's mayor, survivors of the carnage and the families and friends of those who lost their lives.
"Some wanted the theater reopened, some didn't," Hickenlooper said, according to the Denver Post. "Certainly there's no right or wrong way of healing. ... For many here tonight, though, this is a part of healing."
The shooting -- allegedly orchestrated by James Holmes -- ripped through the cineplex's Theater 9 just before a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises. Cinemark asked the town's citizens what they thought should be done with the facility; it has been massively remodeled, and now Theater 9 is called Auditorium I, with a new screen and "extreme digital" projection.
Despite the community involvement, some victims and families were angered by the decision to reopen the theater, as well as a perceived lack of compassion from the theater chain. They publicly rejected invitations to attend the event earlier in January, and in September, some sued over Cinemark's lack of security.
"I cannot allow the shooter in any way, shape or form to win,” Aurora's mayor, Steve Hogan, said at the event. "We will not let this tragedy define us."
Holmes, the alleged shooter, will stand trial for more than 160 counts of murder and attempted murder. His arraignment was recently pushed back to March 12.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!