Austin Stowell Joins 'Whiplash,' Reprising 'Dolphin Tale' Role (Exclusive)
The "Secret Life of the American Teenager" vet is joining two films.
Austin Stowell is keeping busy.
The Secret Life of the American Teenager alum has been cast in Whiplash opposite Miles Teller and is expected to reprise his role in the Dolphin Tale sequel, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Whiplash is centered on a talented young drummer (Teller) who strives for perfection under the instruction of a ruthless band conductor (J.K. Simmons). Stowell will play the champion drummer, the rival to Teller's character.
Paul Reiser is also part of the cast. Bold Films, Blumhouse Productions and Right of Way Films are producing Whiplash, a feature-length adaptation of writer-director Damien Chazelle's Sundance Short Film Jury Award winner.
Stowell is set to return as Kyle Connellan in Dolphin Tale 2, the follow-up to the 2011 feature that grossed $95 million at the worldwide box office. A rep for Alcon, the production company behind the film, could not confirm the deal.
Other original castmembers, including Harry Connick Jr., Ashley Judd, Morgan Freeman and Kris Kristofferson, are expected to return. Warner Bros. will release Dolphin Tale 2 on Sept. 19, 2014. Filming begins this fall.
Stowell is repped by CAA, Roar and Morris Yorn Barnes. He most recently appeared in the Liam Hemsworth-Teresa Palmer drama Love and Honor; upcoming films include Behaving Badly and Higher Power.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR