'Avatar' could top overseas record today
Only $69 million behind "Titanic" going into weekend
"We expect 'Avatar' to pass 'Titanic' at the international box office (on Saturday)," predicted Craig Dehmel, Fox International's senior vp of sales and strategic planning. Distributor 20th Century Fox won't report Friday and Saturday gross numbers until Sunday morning.
Through Thursday, "Avatar" amassed total foreign earnings of $1.173 billion, just $69 million shy of "Titanic's" foreign record of $1.242 billion. With the former grossing at least $20 million daily overseas on the slowest days, weekend action is almost certain to propel "Avatar" ahead of "Titanic's" foreign record today.
Foreign earnings are driving the "Avatar" phenomenon with nearly 70% of its worldwide boxoffice of $1.690 billion coming from offshore playoff.
Worldwide, "Avatar" as of Thursday still had $153 million to go to beat "Titanic's" record global boxoffice take of $1.843 billion.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR