'Avatar' Sequels to Incorporate New Virtual Production Techniques
James Cameron's Lightstorm teamed with Weta and Autodesk to develop new virtual production technology.
James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment, has teamed with VFX house Weta Digital and entertainment content software developer Autodesk to develop virtual production technology for use in the production of the planned Avatar sequels.
“Creating the virtual production pipeline on Avatar was a groundbreaking process that only enabled us to scratch the surface of what is possible,” said Cameron in a released statement. “Together with Autodesk and Weta Digital, we have used the knowledge gained from this first experience to clearly define the ideal process and then develop the technology needed to streamline our workflow. With the resulting pipeline, on the Avatar sequels, I will be able to devote more of my energy to the creative side of the moviemaking process, and dig deeper into all that is possible with virtual production.”
The notion of virtual production effectively means that the director and collaborators can see their digital assets in an interactive world live on-set, so they can make creative decisions more quickly.
“After completing Avatar, we had a clear understanding of the developments needed to make the process more creative and efficient,” reads a statement from Joe Letteri, senior digital effects supervisor at Weta Digital, which won an Oscar for its VFX work on Avatar, as is currently working on Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. “We knew that by bringing the whole digital pipeline more in line with the traditional onset style of shooting we could open up brand new ways for directors like Jim to make their films.”
Some of the tools resulting from the collaboration have been incorporated into the latest versions of certain Autodesk entertainment creation software, such as Motion Builder and Maya, which are on display at CG confab Siggraph. The conference runs through Thursday at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues