'Avatar: Special Edition' 3D coming to theaters
Re-release due Aug. 27 with additional eight minutes
Once more, with ... eight additional minutes.
An even longer version of James Cameron's 3D epic adventure "Avatar" will return to theaters worldwide on Aug. 27. Fox expects to re-release a 170-minute version of the winter blockbuster in about 400 theaters, featuring all 3D venues and dozens of high-grossing Imax auditoriums.
An "Avatar" special-edition Blu-ray Disc release is anticipated in November, but this is no mere ploy to hype that. Studio execs figure the theatrical reemergence will add at least tens of millions of dollars to the picture's record domestic and international cumes.
"Avatar" has rung up $2.73 billion in global coin, $749.6 million of its grosses coming in the U.S. and Canada.
"Audiences repeatedly told me they wanted more of Pandora, and wished they could have stayed there longer," Cameron said. "So we're making that possible."
Cameron said the eight minutes of new scenes will feature "new creatures and action scenes."
Returning to theaters in late August, the film will have come full circle: Cameron first teased moviegoers with a preview of 15 minutes from the film that was unveiled in moviehouses last Aug. 21.
"Whether you already love the movie, or you've never seen it, with this special edition, you'll be seeing it like never before," Cameron said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)