'Avatar' tops home video sales for 2010
Title surpasses 'New Moon' after only four days in release
"Avatar" is already the year's top-selling home entertainment title after just four days in release.
Consumers snapped up 6.7 million copies of the first "Avatar" DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, which are 2D versions of the action fantasy offering no bonus features. "Avatar" sales quickly have outpaced the 6.5 million units sold of Summit/Universal's "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," which had been 2010's hottest disc release to date.
Fox Home Entertainment began selling the "Avatar" discs Thursday to coincide with Earth Day. The James Cameron epic marked a format record by moving 1.5 million Blu-ray copies in its first day on store shelves.
FHE will release special edition versions of the James Cameron epic in the fourth quarter, with those versions set to include special features of the sort normally included on home entertainment discs. A 3D Blu-ray version of "Avatar" will be released early next year.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!