'Avatar' tops home video sales for 2010
Title surpasses 'New Moon' after only four days in release
"Avatar" is already the year's top-selling home entertainment title after just four days in release.
Consumers snapped up 6.7 million copies of the first "Avatar" DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, which are 2D versions of the action fantasy offering no bonus features. "Avatar" sales quickly have outpaced the 6.5 million units sold of Summit/Universal's "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," which had been 2010's hottest disc release to date.
Fox Home Entertainment began selling the "Avatar" discs Thursday to coincide with Earth Day. The James Cameron epic marked a format record by moving 1.5 million Blu-ray copies in its first day on store shelves.
FHE will release special edition versions of the James Cameron epic in the fourth quarter, with those versions set to include special features of the sort normally included on home entertainment discs. A 3D Blu-ray version of "Avatar" will be released early next year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR