'Avatar' weekend earnings climb
$77 mil gross falls short of December record
"Avatar" was just 'aving a laugh.
How else to explain Fox's underestimating the pic's opening performance on Sunday? In a rare case of a film's Sunday estimate proving too pessimistic, James Cameron's sci-fi actioner actually rang up $77 million in the U.S. and Canada during the weekend.
The final, official tally, released Monday, was more than $4 million higher than the pic's distributor initially estimated on Sunday. The opening fell just short of matching the December-record bow by "I Am Legend" in 2007.
A big East Coast snowstorm on Saturday probably robbed the pic of $2 million or so, execs said. But positive word-of-mouth throughout the frame bolstered Sunday business beyond what Fox projected.
The situation bodes well for the pricey pic's sophomore session in release during the upcoming Christmas weekend.
"Sunday was an outrageous day," Fox domestic distribution president Bruce Snyder said. "It's almost unprecedented that a picture has dropped only 3% on a Sunday, when compared with its Saturday grosses."
"Avatar" also debuted in 106 foreign territories. Its $165.5 million international tally produced a worldwide bow totaling $242.5 million.
Released in a mix of 3D and 2D venues, the film's extra-dimensional venues were particularly lucrative.
Imax said its 3D digital auditoriums sold out for the pic's entire first week. During the weekend, its 178 domestic venues registered a company-record $9.5 million, and Imax's overseas locations rang up similarly impressive sums.
"From the very beginning, James Cameron considered how the film would look and feel in Imax," Imax Filmed Entertainment president Greg Foster said.
That helped bolstered interest among moviegoers for seeing the film in the Imax format, Foster said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!