'The Avengers' Makes Box Office History in Latin America
The hit superhero film also broke a record this week in Mexico as the nation's highest-grossing title of all time.
MEXICO CITY -- Marvel's superhero extravaganza The Avengers has become Latin America's highest-grossing picture ever and the first film to surpass the $200 million box-office milestone in the region.
The Avengers pushed James Cameron's Avatar and Titanic to No. 2 and No. 3 all-time in Latin America.
Here in Mexico, the territory's top moviegoing market, the Disney release has raked in more than $60 million after six weeks in theaters; it now stands as Mexico's most successful title ever, topping Toy Story 3.
Worldwide, The Avengers ranks as the No. 3 picture of all time and is Marvel Studio's first film to exceed $1 billion in receipts. Despite its impressive run, The Avengers won't catch box-office champ Avatar, which pulled in a worldwide gross of $2.8 billion, or Titanic's $2.2 billion.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)