'Avengers' Debuts to Record $15.5 Million Opening Weekend in Canada
The Marvel blockbuster powered its way to a new record after cast members Mark Ruffalo and Cobie Smulders were on hand last week for the red carpet debut in Toronto.
TORONTO – The Avengers set the biggest opening weekend box office record in Canada.
The Marvel blockbuster opened with $15.5 million in ticket receipts, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Canada reported Monday.
That broke the previous record Canadian opener of $12.9 million posted last year by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Disney didn't break out its Canadian screen count for the opening weekend north of the border.
Smashing the Canadian record came as the Disney and Marvel superhero movie pulled in $207.1 million at the domestic box office, also the biggest debut ever for North America.
Before Avengers bowed this weekend, Toronto hosted the Canadian premiere of the teen tentpole a week ago, with cast members Mark Ruffalo and Cobie Smulders on hand for the red-carpet debut.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack