'Avengers' Halloween Costumes Top Moviegoers Survey (Exclusive)
Catwoman from "Dark Knight Rises" and Katniss from "The Hunger Games" also are among this year's most in-demand costumes inspired by movies, according to a Fandango poll.
Expect a lot of superheroes walking around the streets this Halloween.
Characters from The Avengers are the most in-demand movie-inspired costumes this year, according to a survey of more than 1,000 moviegoers conducted by Fandango.
Among 2012 releases, Avengers characters took the top four spots with males, with Chris Hemsworth's Thor edging out the other characters from summer's box office hit for the No. 1 spot. Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man came in second, followed by Chris Evans' Captain America and Mark Ruffalo's Hulk. (Incidentally, the characters on Comedy Central's South Park also are dressing up as the Avengers in Wednesday night's Halloween-themed episode.)
Christian Bale's Batman from The Dark Knight Rises rounded out the men's top five picks.
Meanwhile, action heroines dominated the women's choices, with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman, also from The Dark Knight Rises, coming in at No. 1, followed by Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss from The Hunger Games.
Rounding out the top five were Kristen Stewart's Snow White and Charlize Theron's Queen Ravenna from Snow White and the Huntsman and Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow from Avengers.
“It was a battle of the superheroes for top costume this year, and it's fun to see the regal Thor rising to the top of the list, beating out the rest of the Avengers crew,” Fandango editor-in-chief Chuck Walton said. “For women, Anne Hathaway's sexy turn as Catwoman pushed the feline fatale back onto the list and straight to the top, besting arguably this year's most talked-about female character, Katniss Everdeen.”
Meanwhile, in the "classic" costume category, men overwhelmingly chose Indiana Jones as their classic costume, followed by classic Batman, Dracula, The Joker from The Dark Knight and James Bond.
Among women, Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz was No. 1, followed by Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians, Belle from Beauty and the Beast and Tinkerbell from Peter Pan. Rounding out the top five was a surprising choice: the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland.
Also interesting is the fact that some of the characters that made the top 10 represent movies not yet released, including the animated Wreck-It Ralph (Nov. 2), The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (Nov. 16) and The Hobbit (Dec. 14), which bodes well for those films.
The complete top 10 rankings for costumes inspired by 2012 releases are as follows:
1. Thor (The Avengers)
2. Iron Man (The Avengers)
3. Captain America (The Avengers)
4. Hulk (The Avengers)
5. Batman (The Dark Knight Rises)
6. James Bond (Skyfall)
7. Ted the Raunchy Teddy Bear (Ted)
8. Gandalf (The Hobbit)
9. Magic Mike (Magic Mike)
10. Wreck-It-Ralph (Wreck-It Ralph)
1. Catwoman (The Dark Knight Rises)
2. Katniss (The Hunger Games)
3. Snow White (Snow White and the Huntsman)
4. Queen Ravenna (Snow White and the Huntsman)
5. Black Widow (The Avengers)
6. Red-Eyed Bella the Vampire (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2)
7. Effie Trinket (The Hunger Games)
8. Selene (Underworld: Awakening)
9. Merida (Brave)
10. Alice (Resident Evil: Retribution)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR