'The Avengers' and 'The Hunger Games' to Get TV Premieres on EPIX
The year's two highest-grossing films will see their first airings on the multi-platform outlet.
For the handful of people who don't catch The Avengers or The Hunger Games during their respective record-breaking box office showings, both films will first land at EPIX when arriving on television.
EPIX, the multi-platform joint venture between Viacom, its Paramount Pictures unit, MGM Studios Inc and Lionsgate, announced Monday that it has secured first-run rights.
The news comes on the heels of The Avengers' gargantuan $207.1 million opening weekend and other 2012 box office champ Hunger Games' current global gross of $618.0 million.
As a part of the deal, both films will get debuts on the cable channel, its On Demand service, its website and across its multiple apps.
“EPIX is all about providing its subscribers the biggest and best movies anytime and anywhere," said EPIX CEO and president Mark Greenberg. "We are thrilled to bring this year’s two biggest blockbuster titles to the EPIX slate, providing even more value to our viewers and affiliated distributors. We congratulate our studio partners, Paramount and Lionsgate, on their tremendous success."
Previously, ABC Family landed network TV rights to The Hunger Games and its upcoming sequel Catching Fire.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)