Box Office Report: 'Avengers' Gives 'John Carter' a Double-Feature Boost at Drive-Ins
The Disney disappointment zoomed back up the box office charts after being paired with the Marvel blockbuster this weekend.
While most of the world was paying attention to The Avengers over the weekend, fellow Disney pic John Carter was making its own news.
John Carter zoomed up the domestic box office office chart from No. 38 the week before to No. 12 -- thanks to being paired with The Avengers at more than 150 drive-ins across the country.
John Carter -- which resulted in a $200 million loss for Disney -- grossed $1.5 million and was up a staggering 1,223 percent over the previous weekend. The film's domestic gross is now $70.8 million, while it has grossed $208.2 million overseas. Those are big numbers, but a hefty production budget and marketing spend put Disney into the red.
It's common practice for drive-ins to offer double features. Usually, however, it doesn't boost the older film's bottom line to such a degree. But Avengers did such massive business -- the film opened to $207.4 million, the biggest opening of all time --that it made a difference.
The average cost of a drive-in ticket is $8. Studios don't disclose how they divvy up the ticket sales between two films playing in a double feature.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)