Box Office Report: 'Avengers' Gives 'John Carter' a Double-Feature Boost at Drive-Ins
The Disney disappointment zoomed back up the box office charts after being paired with the Marvel blockbuster this weekend.
While most of the world was paying attention to The Avengers over the weekend, fellow Disney pic John Carter was making its own news.
John Carter zoomed up the domestic box office office chart from No. 38 the week before to No. 12 -- thanks to being paired with The Avengers at more than 150 drive-ins across the country.
John Carter -- which resulted in a $200 million loss for Disney -- grossed $1.5 million and was up a staggering 1,223 percent over the previous weekend. The film's domestic gross is now $70.8 million, while it has grossed $208.2 million overseas. Those are big numbers, but a hefty production budget and marketing spend put Disney into the red.
It's common practice for drive-ins to offer double features. Usually, however, it doesn't boost the older film's bottom line to such a degree. But Avengers did such massive business -- the film opened to $207.4 million, the biggest opening of all time --that it made a difference.
The average cost of a drive-in ticket is $8. Studios don't disclose how they divvy up the ticket sales between two films playing in a double feature.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!