Average Movie Ticket Price for 2010 Was $7.89
The average cost jumped to $8.01 in the fourth quarter due to the premium price of 3D tickets.
The average movie ticket price for 2010 ended up being $7.89, after the average cost jumped to $8.01 in the fourth quarter.
It was the first time that the cost of admission ever jumped the $8 mark.
The National Assn. of Theater Owners calculates the yearly ticket price based on the quarter averages. The average cost in the first quarter of 2010 was $7.95, but dipped to $7.88 in the second, and $7.71 in the third.
The average ticket price in 2009 was $7.50. Year-over-year, the 2010 average price of $7.89 represented a 5.2% increase.
Helping to drive the higher cost were 3D films, which charge a premium.
Over the past five years, ticket prices have consistently been up 4% to 5% year-over-year.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David