Average Movie Ticket Price Reaches All-Time High of $8.38
The National Association of Theater Owners attributes the Q2 2013 increase to a spike in revenue from 3D screens and large-format theaters, including IMAX locations.
The average cost of going to a movie in North America reached an all-time high of $8.38 in the second quarter of the year, a 5.5 percent increase over the first quarter.
The average ticket price in Q1 2013 was $7.94.
That puts the average ticket price for the first half of the year at $8.16, according to the National Association of Theater Owners.
During the summer months, movie ticket prices often rise because of the uptick in 3D movies, which command more money, as does entry to IMAX theaters and other large-format locations.
The average ticket price in Q2 2012 was $8.12, the previous high. The average ticket price of $8.38 represents a 3.2 percent uptick over that number.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)