Awards Season Playbook
With only a few highlights like "The Dark Knight Rises," the first half of the year tested this critic's faith, but the fall movies have revived his spirits.
As a critic, I long ago made it a policy never to mention the "O" word in a film review because of a strong conviction that -- despite the tastes of a few thousand people who belong to a certain organization in Beverly Hills -- such a word has nothing to do with film criticism. I used to do very well on awards prediction ballots and betting, but even that's gone sour for me because every year the subject gets beaten into the ground to the point of utter fatigue by so-called experts.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR