Awkward J Mascis Interview Explained (Video)
Who's the mom-like figure interviewing one of indie rock's guitar greats? An old family friend with deep industry connections.
A video clip of J Mascis is making the rounds in which the Dinosaur Jr. frontman is interviewed by a woman identified only as Maureen whose homely vibe treads closer to homemaker than rock journalist. To wit: when Maureen, in her mom jeans and best Massachusetts drawl, inquires as to why there’s no period following Mascis’ first initial ("How can anyone have a name like J?"). Or later in the clip, when she asks Mascis whether he still wears fingerless gloves (his answer: ”[Not] since Michael Jackson stole it from me.”) To make things even more awkward, Mascis greets several of her questions with nothing but a silent stare. And when Maureen describes him as “one of the most renowned guitarists of his generation,” the stone-faced rocker looks like he just might lose it.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Social & Mobile
From our partners
- Chrissie Hynde: Don't Get Me Wrong: I Won't Stand For Cruelty to Geese
- Heather Laine Talley: Zelda Wasn't 'Crazy': How What You Don't Know About Fitzgerald Tells Us Something About 'Crazy' Women, Then and Now
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'?
- Jessica Simpson Squeezes Her Baby Bump Into Spandex