Baltimore Ravens Reportedly Knew Details of Ray Rice Video Hours After Violent Incident

AP Images

The Ravens reportedly knew hours after the February assault

Baltimore Ravens officials had information of the domestic violence involving Ray Rice much earlier than they have publicly said, ESPN is reporting.

According to the Frontline investigation, Baltimore Ravens' director of security Darren Sanders was given a detailed account of security footage showing Rice knocking out his then-fiancee just hours after the incident occurred. He reportedly informed Ravens officials shortly after getting the information.

Embattled NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has insisted no one in the league had seen the security footage from inside elevator in the Atlantic City casino until it was made public Sept. 8. He has said the violent video changed the equation and made the league rethink its earlier punishment for Rice. He was initially suspended for just two games.

The ESPN report contradicts the claim that no one inside the NFL knew the grizzly contents of the video, with sources also telling Frontline Ravens executives pressured Goodell to be lenient toward Rice. 

Frontline also reports that in April, Rice's defense attorney described the February surveillance video as "f—ing horrible" to Ravens president Dick Cass, who hadn't seen it.

The Ravens denied ESPN's reporting.

"The ESPN.com 'Outside the Lines' article contains numerous errors, inaccuracies, false assumptions and, perhaps, misunderstandings," the team said in a statement. "The Ravens will address all of these next week in Baltimore after our trip to Cleveland for Sunday's game against the Browns."

Rice was suspended indefinitely from the NFL and cut from the Ravens last week after video emerged of him knocking out his then-fiancee Janay in February. They have since married.

comments powered by Disqus