Barbra Streisand Re-Signs With Columbia Records, Will Celebrate 50 Years (Exclusive)
Just in time for a landmark anniversary, the singer officially re-ups with her longtime label home.
Barbra Streisand will remain on Columbia Records, the Sony Music-owned label announced today.
The Grammy- and Oscar-winning singer and actress has been with the label for 50 years, having originally signed in the early 1960s. She released her first album, The Barbra Streisand Album, in 1963. Only crooner Tony Bennett has been on the label longer.
“From the day Goddard Lieberson signed me almost 50 years ago, Columbia Records has been my recording home, and I am thrilled to continue that partnership for many years to come,” Streisand said in a statement.
Added Steve Barnett, chairman and COO of Columbia Records: “There are stars and there are superstars, and there’s Barbra Streisand … Columbia Records is proud to play a vital role in her extraordinary career. We’re looking forward to the next chapter in our long and fruitful relationship.”
In July, The Hollywood Reporter wrote about "heated" talks to keep Streisand in the Sony family. Manager Marty Erlichman told THR at the time, "I’m not peddling Barbra. I will stay with Columbia unless I can’t make a deal, then I’ll go elsewhere.”
To commemorate the landmark anniversary, Columbia will also release a 12-set DVD featuring unprecedented access into Streisand's professional and personal life. The DVD set will consist of never before seen footage directly from Barbra’s archives.
Streisand has sold more than 70 million albums in the U.S. including her most recent Grammy-nominated album, What Matters Most, which was her 31st to reach the Top 10.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram