Barbra Streisand's Rolex Gift to Jon Peters Set For Auction
The classic watch, engraved with a lyric from "A Star Is Born," goes under the hammer Nov. 9 at Julien's in Beverly Hills.
This story first appeared in the Oct. 26 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
In June 1981, Barbra Streisand bought her then-boyfriend Jon Peters a classic Rolex watch and engraved it with a touching song lyric from her hit 1976 film A Star Is Born, which Peters produced.
But despite the promise of "evergreen" love, things didn't turn out as timeless as Streisand had hoped. She and Peters soon split, and now the watch -- a 1935 Rolex Prince in silver and 9-karat gold -- is set to be auctioned Nov. 9 in Beverly Hills by Julien's, with a presale estimate of $2,000 to $4,000.
Auctioneer Darren Julien says the owner wants to remain anonymous but adds that the person -- who worked on the movie with Peters and Streisand -- received the watch personally from Peters.
One timepiece expert tells THR the watch seems in somewhat poor condition, though its history likely will up its value.
Neither Streisand nor Peters responded to a request for comment.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR