Baz Luhrmann: I Want Leonardo DiCaprio for 'Hamlet'
THR talks to the director at the New York City premiere of "Gatsby."
This story first appeared in the May 17 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Baz Luhrmann and Leo DiCaprio already have teamed on two literary classics: Romeo + Juliet and now The Great Gatsby. So which text will the Aussie helmer likely tackle next with his go-to leading man?
"Hamlet," Luhrmann told THR at the New York premiere of Gatsby on May 1. "To me, Gatsby is the American Hamlet. What else could we possibly do as a follow-up?" The first thing Luhrmann needs to do, though, is persuade DiCaprio to take on another Shakespeare work to complete their bookish trifecta: "It's just a dream at this point," he says.
Also discovered at the New York premiere: Gatsby executive producer Jay-Z, who provided tracks for the film, has been obsessed with F. Scott Fitzgerald's self-made mogul for years. He nearly starred in the 2005 movie G, a hip-hop spin on the novel that was written and produced by Andrew Lauren (son of Ralph), according to sources.
Jay-Z and Sean Combs pursued roles that would have had them playing rap rivals.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera