BBC Cancels Crime Drama 'Ripper Street'
The show, starring Matthew Macfadyen and Jerome Flynn, will not return for a third season amid declining ratings.
LONDON – The BBC has decided to cancel period crime drama Ripper Street amid declining ratings.
The show, which airs on BBC America in the U.S., will not return for a third season, a BBC spokesperson said Wednesday.
The crime drama starring Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn and Adam Rothenberg was set in 19th century England. The first season was set six months after the last Jack the Ripper killing.
"We are very proud of Ripper Street, which has enjoyed two highly ambitious [seasons] on BBC One," the representative for the U.K. public broadcaster said. "However, the second [season] didn’t bring the audience we hoped, and in order to make room for creative renewal and new ideas, it won’t be returning."
The season-two premiere of Ripper Street on BBC flagship network BBC One drew a smaller audience than the start of the first season, but its ratings were in line with the season-one overnight average of 5 million viewers, which rose to more than 7 million when including delayed viewing.
However, last Monday, the show drew only 3.3 million overnight. Competition from strongly performing ITV reality hit show I'm a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! contributed to the declining ratings.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'True Detective' Deleted Scene: Rust and Lori Break Up
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Crushes Things In A Giant Tank For A Good Cause
- 'Of Many' Film Produced By Chelsea Clinton To Premier At Tribeca Film Festival, Featuring Muslim-Jewish Relations
- The 'High School Musical' Song Ranking You've Been Waiting For