BBC Orders 'Everybody Loves Raymond' Remake Pilot
"The Smiths" will star comedian Lee Mack and Catherine Tate.
LONDON -- The BBC's flagship channel BBC One has ordered a pilot for a U.K. remake of Everybody Loves Raymond, starring comedian Lee Mack and Catherine Tate (The Office).
The BBC announced that the pilot, entitled The Smiths, will be set in Cheshire, England, but also feature a man who lives opposite his overbearing family. Mack himself will write it and portray the protagonist, with Tate taking on Patricia Heaton's role in the original.
Raymond was a sitcom hit in the U.S. and elsewhere for nine seasons, starring Ray Romano, Heaton and Brad Garrett. Romano played a New York sportswriter. The character's comedic slant is seen as similar to Mack's role in British sitcom Not Going Out.
The pilot will be shot in front of a live audience later this month. Silver River Productions, part of Sony Pictures Television, is producing it.
Raymond previously also got local adaptations in such countries as Russia.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!