BBC Orders 'Everybody Loves Raymond' Remake Pilot
"The Smiths" will star comedian Lee Mack and Catherine Tate.
LONDON -- The BBC's flagship channel BBC One has ordered a pilot for a U.K. remake of Everybody Loves Raymond, starring comedian Lee Mack and Catherine Tate (The Office).
The BBC announced that the pilot, entitled The Smiths, will be set in Cheshire, England, but also feature a man who lives opposite his overbearing family. Mack himself will write it and portray the protagonist, with Tate taking on Patricia Heaton's role in the original.
Raymond was a sitcom hit in the U.S. and elsewhere for nine seasons, starring Ray Romano, Heaton and Brad Garrett. Romano played a New York sportswriter. The character's comedic slant is seen as similar to Mack's role in British sitcom Not Going Out.
The pilot will be shot in front of a live audience later this month. Silver River Productions, part of Sony Pictures Television, is producing it.
Raymond previously also got local adaptations in such countries as Russia.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Closed Captioning Finally Enters Digital Age
- 'Jurassic World': See The first Images From The Set Of Next Summer's Dinosaur Flick
- 'A New Earth' Author Eckhart Tolle Says We Have An Addiction To Unhappiness (VIDEO)
- Lake Bell Reveals Pregnancy By Cradling Her Belly In Tight Jumpsuit At Vanity Fair Party