Jimmy Savile Scandal: Victims of Alleged Sexual Abuse Sue BBC
Some of late BBC host Jimmy Savile's sexual abuse victims are suing the U.K. public broadcaster and the late star's estate, the Guardian reported Wednesday, citing their lawyer.
The newspaper said the civil damage claims are the first to be formally lodged with the British high court in the Savile scandal that erupted in the fall. The claims are brought on behalf of 31 victims. All of them are suing Savile's estate, with seven or eight also targeting the BBC. Additional people are expected to join the civil claims, which could lead to substantial payments by the BBC, according to the Guardian.
U.K. police last month said that 214 crimes and 450 abuse complaints have been recorded against former Top of The Pops host Savile. Its latest report said that the late former stalwart of the public broadcaster carried out "mainly opportunistic sexual assaults," including some on BBC premises.
The report cited 33 cases of abuse in TV or radio studios, which are all believed to be BBC premises.
The BBC has said it was "appalled" by the report's findings.