Beatles Musical Books L.A. Run Prior to Broadway
"Backbeat," based on the 1994 Universal film, will hit the Ahmanson Theater from Jan. 16-Feb. 24, 2013.
Backbeat, the musical that details the birth of the Beatles, will make its final pre-Broadway stop in Los Angeles early next year.
An adaptation of 1994 Universal Pictures film, Backbeat will play L.A.'s Ahmanson Theater from Jan. 16, 2013 through Feb. 24. Opening night is Jan. 23.
The musical played London's West End from Sept. 24 through Feb. 18. The show had its world premiere at Glasgow's Citizens Theatre in 2010 and next has a July 21-Sept. 2 run at the Royal Alexandra Theatre in Toronto.
Using a collection of songs the Beatles covered in the clubs of Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany -- "Long Tall Sally," "Twist and Shout," "Good Golly Miss Molly," "Please Mr. Postman," "Rock 'n' Roll Music" -- Backbeat is set in 1960 and focused on the group's original bassist Stu Sutcliffe and his relationship with German photographer Astrid Kirchherr.
The cast for the Los Angeles show has not yet been set. A Broadway theater has not been booked either, but it would likely open by the end of April to make it eligible for the 2013 Tony Awards.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR